Naughty Mrs P (exactly why I love her rebel-heart) nominated her top 11 picks, and then added a couple more…be sure to meet her here
I recently received a Leibster Award from Mom at Maybe Someone Should Write that Down… and I had two thoughts. The first being that it was a very nice thing for her to do and the second was, what is it?
In a nutshell it is something that bloggers can send to other bloggers as a way to acknowledge that you like their blog. It’s like a chain letter for bloggers with an added twist. It helps lesser known bloggers to get noticed. So it is a writer’s Show and Tell session. As a teacher, I can relate to that and it sounds like a good way to promote myself and some other really cool bloggers. So thank you Mom! If you are into genealogy and family history you will especially like her blog. Just click on the link above.
There are several parts to accepting this reward.
Acknowledge the person who nominated you and link to their site. (DONE)
Answer the 11 questions from the nominator. (Questions in italics)
- If I weren’t blogging about this stuff I would be… gardening, taking pictures and doing projects like auto re-upholstery and refinishing furniture.
- Who are you named after? No one, to my knowledge.
- I would like my epitaph to read as follows: In the end…it was the little things that made life meaningful.
- Favorite quote: That’s just Grand! (An expression my grandmother used when she was pleased about something.)
- Something I will never understand is …why the leaders of our government seem to have the greatest inability to govern.
- If I could run around all day everyday, dressed any way that I pleased I would wear: comfortable casual clothes or pajamas.
- What class do you wish you had paid more attention to in school? Science
- Do you write full time? No, but I think about writing full time…does that count?
- What’s your dream job? Being a research assistant for a Ken Burns documentary
- Where is your dream Writer’s Corner? In a room with large windows and views of both the river and the ocean. I’d sit in a big comfy chair with an equally comfy foot rest. And I would be surrounded by lots of green foliage and a gentle breeze would wisp through the windows. And I would have a really good computer that allowed me to dictate my thoughts onto the page so I didn’t have to try to type when I was still waking up.
- What’s the craziest thing you have ever learned about your family? Maybe not crazy, but interesting. My uncle 2x removed was a spy for the Secret Service for the Union during the Civil War. He apparently was very good and had several bounties attached to him by the Confederates. At one point he reported directly to Benjamin Harrison who later became the 23rd President. During their time of service they became friends and remained so until the death of President Harrison.
List 11 random facts about yourself.
- I once won a donut eating contest
- When I was 24 years old I rebuilt the engine to my Volkswagon bug.
- The day before I gave birth to my daughter I had a dream that I had the baby. The next day when I actually had the baby I realized that she looked exactly like the baby in the dream. Is that spooky or really cool?
- As a teenager, my girlfriend and I decided to prank the drive-up teller at the bank by having us both sit in the driver’s seat of her car while performing our banking transaction.
- The strangest food I ever ate was pickle jellyfish.
- I write/blog under a pen-name
- I have let a baby sqid scoot across my hand. It’s was a strange sensation to feel the suction cups as it moved. And when we let it go, it did squirt blue ink.
- I helped start a private school in Silicon Valley and was a teacher for 17 years.
- My favorite place to visit in Washington DC is The Library of Congress.
- I like to travel light when I go on trips and once went on a three week trip with only a medium size duffle bag.
- When I was in middle school the boy behind me told me there was a spider in my hair which resulted in me standing up in the middle of a quiet class, shaking my head upside-down and yelling, “Get it out, Get it out!”
Create 11 questions for your nominees.
- If you could see any historic landmark or artifact, what would it be?
- Do you speak more than one language?
- What is the strangest food you ever ate?
- If you were standing at the front door of the place you live in, looking outside, what direction would you be facing? (North, South, East or West)
- Have you ever played in a band or musical group?
- What is the longest distance you have ever gone to satisfy a craving for a treat?
- What creature from the animal kingdom gives you the creepy crawlies?
- As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? Did you accomplish that?
- Where were you working when you got your first paycheck?
- Is there something that you enjoy doing that would surprise the people who know you best?
Present the Liebster Blog Award to 11 other blogs of 200 followers or less who you feel deserve to be noticed and leave a comment on their blog letting them know they have been chosen. (It was difficult to come up with 11 blogs to check out that had less than 200 followers because so many of the blogs I follow have become quite popular. And, some others just recently received this award…go figure!) So here are my nominees:
- Pic of Then If you enjoy vintage photography then you are bound to want to look at this site. Matt shares a picture from his personal collection each day. I discovered him when doing a Google search for my great-great-grandfather who was a photographer in the 1800s. Matt’s collection included several pictures that were taken by him and I have been following him since. Though Matt doesn’t know it, his blog inspired me to start my own blog so he gets an extra high five from me.
- Naptime Writing I jumped into this blog after reading some of her comments on other blogs I follow. It was one of those, I really like this person, moments. She’s got a witty blog about parenting, writing, daily life, and raising children (yes, that was intentional) mixed with a dose of reality check. And if I don’t hurry, she’ll be over the 200 followers mark before I get done with this post.
- Ancora Imparo There is something special about this young blogger who shares her personal philosophy, her love of travel, photography and yoga. She is just like a bright ray of sunshine on a cloudy day.
- Mango Mornings Liana decided to pursue an opportunity in the Philippines, leaving behind her comfort zone of Southern California. Her blog takes you through her adventures of living in a foreign country and learning how to do things differently and the challenges and experiences she has along the way.
- Silkannthreades See the beautiful landscape of New Zealand, learn about the after effects of the Christchurch earthquake or if you like follow along as a Monarch butterfly completes a full metamorphosis (they are at the cocoon stage, now). This is a well written blog about enjoying the simple things in life with beautiful photographs adorning each post.
- Synchronistic Reader Lauren reads books, she also reviews them and has been writing her memoirs (soon to be published). In her blog she shares her experience with books, writing and publishing. She wrote an exceptional article on the fear of exposure when writing memoirs.
- Notestoponder Just as the title says this blogger likes to ponder over everything and anything. Her interests are wide and intelligent. I always enjoy taking a few minutes to expand my horizon’s with one of her thought provoking posts.
- A Happy Mess Julie is a mother of four adopted children of varying ethnicity, married to her high school sweetheart. In her own words, her blog is about the good and the bad, the funny and the serious, the successes and the failures. She’s a great writer and offers unique insight to parenting.
- 1 House 100 years In the year 2020 this house will be 100 years old. Follow along as it is restored inside and out in preparation for its 100 birthday.
SHHHH…Top Secret…Burn after reading!
Because there are some blogs that I really love but they have over 200 followers I am sneaking in a special mention to the following bloggers. Shhhhsh! Don’t tell…but… Check them out!
The final step is to cut/paste the award on to your blog…which I will do as so as I figure out how.